1 Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

And I show you a still more excellent way.
1Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

Friday, August 19, 2011

Do I need the Holy Spirit?

The answer to my question may seem obvious,  but, some people seem to believe that they can manage their lives just fine on their own without any help from the Holy Spirit.  His role in the life of the believer  is of great importance, so important in fact, we would not be saved except for the Holy Spirit.

In John 3, Jesus tells Nicodemus, "except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God."  The one who draws us to Jesus is the Holy Spirit and we can only be born again by the Spirit.  I would not be saved, except the Spirit wooed me and drew me to Christ.  I can remember how I cried that night many years ago at Vacation Bible School commencement when I recognized that I was a sinner and that Jesus had died for me.  With the help of the Holy Spirit I went forward during the invitation and prayed to get saved. 

Jesus called him the Comforter in John's gospel; the Helper, and the Spirit of Truth.  He goes on to describe the Holy  Spirit's work; to convict, to guide, to comfort, to teach, to empower, to conform us to Christ's image.  The Holy Spirit has continued his work in me by directing my steps,  instructing me, and reminding me of the truths in his Word.  He keeps me from being deceived or misguided, he strengthens me when I am tired and weary, he motivates me and I become excited about living everyday for the kingdom of God.   His work in me is ongoing as day by day I ask him to fill me. 

Just what is his purpose?  Why does he do the things he does?  Well, he is making me fit for heaven; a pure, spotless bride.  He is making me to be Christ to a lost world as I live my life before others.  Do I need the Holy Spirit?  My answer, emphatically, is yes!  I cannot by my own reason or strength do anything to save myself, nor can I live a holy life, or do the the things that please God.  I need the Holy Spirit.  Read Paul's words in 2Corinthians 3:6, "....but the spirit giveth life."

No comments:

Post a Comment