1 Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

And I show you a still more excellent way.
1Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

Monday, January 2, 2012

O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing

I awoke with the old hymn, O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing, on my mind.  Since then, I've been thinking about the words and what they mean.  At first, I thought it meant we need a choir of a thousand singers all singing at once.  I got out an old hymnal and read the words and checked it out on the internet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_for_a_Thousand_Tongues_to_Sing . The song was one of more than 6,000 hymns written by Charles Wesley and recalls the words of Peter Bohler, who said, "Had I a thousand tongues I would praise him with them all".  I believe the author is saying that his one voice is not enough, that we need God's help if we are to praise him worthly. 

Somehow, I too feel inadaquate, unable to offer praise that he is deserving of.  I wish that I could praise Jesus in many different ways.  I wish that I could play a musical instrument and make beautiful music for him.  I wish I had a voice like Allison Krauss to sing sweet songs for him.  I wish that I could write songs like Andrew Peterson whose lyrics are amazing.  But alas, I was not gifted in these areas. 


So what am I to do?  My desire is to praise him, but my abilities are limited.  It may take some creative thinking, but there are ways that I can praise God.  I can clap my hands.  I can lift them in adoration.  I can sing, maybe not perfectly, but sing none the less and make a  joyful noise to the Lord.  I can speak, extoling his greatness.  I can dance and kneal down, posturing myself to show my love for him.  I can write a poem, a letter, or a prayer offering my heart in obedience to him.


Maybe you can think of other ways to praise our Savior and God.  I would love to hear your ideas and the ways that you praise him.


Psalm 29:2   Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name; worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment