1 Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

And I show you a still more excellent way.
1Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

Thursday, December 29, 2011

What did you get for Christmas?

I received some great gifts this Christmas; things that I will enjoy for many days to come.  A new pair of earrings, a Kindle Fire, cookie mix in a penguin oven mitt, and cute coffee mugs just to name a few.  My heart is full as I give thanks to God for a beautiful Christmas.  Beautiful, because I spent time with my family and friends.  Beautiful, because we kept reminding ourselves of the true meaning of Christmas.  Beautiful, because we worshiped and gave our  hearts anew to Christ, who is at the heart of Christmas.  As I thought about these things, I began to see that I had received many gifts that maybe I had taken for granted.
  • I held and loved our granddaughters.  I got down on the floor and played and snuggled and laughed with them.  My granddaughters gave me the gift of JOY.
  • This year we had all three of our children in our home and we enjoyed many meals together, played games, and talked for hours about our future plans and reminisced about our past.  I am so proud of each of them because they have committed their lives to following Christ and doing what is right.  (Psalm 127:3)  Behold, children are a gift of the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward.  My children gave me the gift of PEACE.
  • I held my husbands hand when we took a walk and when we prayed.  We looked into each others eyes as we watched our children take care of their children.  My husband gave me the gift of LOVE
  • I was blessed to spend time with my mom and dad, brothers and sister, and nieces and nephews.  The family home was teaming with grand kids and babies and everyone was talking at once.  I wanted to be a part of every conversation, but, I could only stand back and watch and hear bits and pieces of their lives.  Being with my relatives makes my heart steadfast,  because these are my roots.  My relatives gave me the gift of FAITH
  • We also enjoyed an evening with our office staff.  It's so nice to work with people who are honest and trustworthy and work together as a team.  My friends at work gave me the gift of GRATITUDE.
  • Christmas would not be complete without spending time with church friends.  I sang "Happy Birthday Jesus" with the kindergarten Awana class and we talked about the best gift that we could give to Jesus.  I enjoyed a lovely evening with the ladies in women's ministry.   I volunteered to help with the Christmas Bash and was blessed by the people who shared their story with me and humbly prayed for God to intervene in their lives.  My church friends gave me the gift of KINDNESS.
Joy, peace, love, faith, gratitude, and kindness.  These are like beautiful gifts that God gave to me this Christmas.  He wrapped these gifts in the friends and family I share  my life with.  But none of this would be possible without his best gift of all - the gift of Jesus Christ, his son who was born at Christmas so that we might have eternal life.  (John 3:16)  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Every good thing bestowed and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation, or shifting shadow.  James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment