1 Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

And I show you a still more excellent way.
1Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

Monday, October 31, 2011

Why Not?

Nearly everyone I know has several copies of the Bible laying around their house, but, I think we would be surprised to see how many people actually open it and read it on a daily basis.  In addition to these paper copies of the Bible, we have available to us, Bible "apps" for our computers and cell phones.  But having the Bible readily accessible does not necessarily mean that we will take advantage of it.  Why is it that Christians fail to study God's Word even though they know that they should.  I did my own survey, asking if it is important for us as Christians to study the Bible.  The results were unanimous.  Everyone said "Yes".  We also know that we should floss our teeth and take our vitamins and get more exercise, but, we don't always do these either. 


If we know that it is important to read and study the Bible, what are the reasons people give for not reading their Bible.  In his article,  Why should we study the Bible? , Dr. Richard J. Krejcir gives four reasons why Christians do not study the Bible.  The reasons are:
  • Apathy - I can't get motivated to do it, other things are pressing, I just don't have time, I'm too busy.
  • Arrogance - I already know what it says, I don't need it,  I can figure this out on my own, I've got this, it's not relevant for today. 
  • Confusion - I don't understand it, there are so many interpretations, I don't know how to do it, it's too difficult.
  • Falsehood - It's not really important, nobody knows for sure, I would never do that, I'll get by somehow.   

For me it's apathy, I'm not disciplined  and I tend to waste time.  Every morning I putter around my kitchen and laundry room doing what...., I'm not sure.  What I need to do is drop everything and get to the business at hand - spending time with God in prayer and Bible study.  I need to make it a priority, the thing I do first.  Each one of us is given a 24 hour day; how we use it is up to us.


Dear Father,  forgive me for wasting precious time doing things that will not matter in eternity.  Help me to make the most of the time that you have given me, Lord, and to make Bible study a priority.

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."  (James 1:25)

No comments:

Post a Comment