1 Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

And I show you a still more excellent way.
1Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

Monday, October 10, 2011

When God Seems Far Away

Have you ever had one of those days when God seems a million miles away?  I had one of those days today.  I felt as though God had forgotten me.  I tried reading my Bible and the words just lay there on the page.  Worst of all, my prayers seemed to have no power.  We've all experienced it; the loneliness and void of feeling separated from God.  So what do you do when you can't find God? 

First of all, let me reassure you that God has not gone anywhere.  He is right where he has always been.  "Thy throne is established from of old;  Thou art from everlasting."  Psalm 93:2.  And God is still on his throne, irregardless of how I feel.  So, if God has not moved from his place, I must be the one who has moved and I must take steps to return to God.  Here are a few things that one can do.

1.  Confess your sins as soon as you are aware of them.  Unconfessed sin can keep us from God's holy presence.  In Psalm 32, David tells of how he felt when he had sins that had not been dealt with.  He goes on to tell how he felt once he had confessed his sins.  So be quick to confess your sins because they stand between you and God. 

2.  Praise God for who he is.  Think of as many words as you can to describe God.  For example, God is holy, he is just, God is loving, patient, and kind.  God is merciful.  Or sing a praise song.  Psalm 100 tells us to "enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise."  Praise is like a doorway into God's presence.

3.  Remember what God has done in the past.  Remember the special, precious times you have spent with him.  Remember when he answered your prayers.  Remember when he spoke to your heart.  Remember how he has blessed you with so many blessings.  Remember how much he loves you.  "Remember his wonders which he has done, his marvels, and the judgements uttered by his mouth," Psalm 105:5 

4.  Do something for someone else; help a neighbor or friend, cook an extra casserole to share, offer to babysit.  When we do things for others, it takes our mind off of us and our problems and helps us see the needs of others.  Putting others first pleases God. 

5.  Be obedient.  Do what you know to do.  Keep praying, keep reading the Word, keep loving God and others!  "Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you."  James 4:8

Making this list was just what I needed to bring me back into God's presence.  He doesn't seem so far away anymore.  He has not forgotten me, in fact, he reminded me of his final words to his followers before he went back to heaven, "and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."  Matthew 28:20b,

No comments:

Post a Comment