1 Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

And I show you a still more excellent way.
1Corinthians 12:31b (NAS)

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Why Are You in Despair, O My Soul?

My body betrays me.  This week I have had upset stomach and numerous aches and pains;  all of which made me feel tired and old. 

My emotions betray me.  For some reason, I felt heart-sick, and sad; with a heaviness that stole my joy.

My mind betrays me.  I struggle with lethargy and discontent;  which makes me question all that I believe in.

My will betrays me.  Because even when I know what to do,  I am too weak to do it.

A sad situation wouldn't you say.  I felt kind of like the psalmist in Psalm 42 when he said, Why are you in despair, O my soul?   Do you ever talk to yourself like that?  Sometimes that's what we have to do to get to the bottom of our problem; give our self a good "talkin" to.  But, when we are in that place of despair it may be difficult to see the way out because we are overcome by the oppression of our enemy.  In verse 10 we see the enemy's method of attack,  As a shattering of my bones, my adversaries revile me, while they say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"

The next time you find yourself in this place,  know this, you cannot trust your body or soul,  they will let you down and disappoint you.  Your emotions cannot be trusted and your mind cannot save you.  They are a part of you that we refer to as the "Flesh", and there is a struggle in the heart of every Christian between the "Flesh" and the "Spirit".  1Corinthians 10:3-4,  For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses.

Our "Spirit", on the other hand, has been "born again" from above and it is through the Holy Spirit who now lives in us that we will be victorious over all our adversaries.  Hear the words of the psalmist in Psalm 43:3, O send out thy light and thy truth, let them lead me;  let them bring me to thy holy hill, and to thy dwelling places.  We are to walk after the "Spirit" and not after the "Flesh" for the flesh brings death, but the spirit brings life.  And if we are not careful, we will give-in to the desires of our flesh and miss  out on what God wants to do in our hearts. 

Lets look again at Psalm 42-43.  God's Word is our best offensive weapon to use when under attack.  What did the  psalmist do?
  • Psalm 42:4 - He poured out his soul to God.  Meaning?  He prayed and he admitted his need of help.  So, don't be afraid to tell God how  you feel, but, then be ready to listen to what he has to say. 
  • Psalm 42:6 - He remembered the times in the past when he was happy and felt that God was near.  Take some time to reflect on what God has done in the past for you.
  • Psalm 42:11 - He declares his faith.  His hope is in God and he knows that he will again praise him.  He believes that God is with him and will never forsake him.  Say it out loud.  Declare your faith in God and do not believe the lies of the enemy.
  • Psalm 43:4 - He worships.  He goes to the alter of God and he praises him on the lyre.  Where is your alter?  Your alter is the place you go to spend time alone with God, the place you lay down your life in surrender to him and his will.  And when you have done that, then you will praise him. 
And worship changes everything.  It changes our attitude and our outlook.  It takes the focus off my problem (sickness, depression, self-pity, etc.) and puts the focus back on Christ, who is God and has the power to make all things right. 

Eternal King, rule and reign in my life; spirit, soul, and body.  Be enthroned in my heart, so that I may walk, not according to the flesh, but, according to the spirit.  Let your glory be over all the earth.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment